The Municipal Counselor's Office advises, represents and defends the City and its elected officials, employees and municipal trusts in legal matters.
The Municipal Counselor is appointed by the City Council.
Other Municipal Counselor's Office duties include:
- Preparing and reviewing legal opinions and proposed ordinances.
- Reviewing and processing claims filed under the Governmental Tort Claims Act, a state law that sets guidelines for lawsuits and claims against government bodies.
- Collecting damage claims owed to the City.
- Prosecuting violations of City ordinances in the Municipal Court.
- Supporting MAPS 3 projects.