Each household can have two garage sales a year with proper permits. A single permit is good for three consecutive days. The sale must be held between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. at the address listed on the permit.
Ways to purchase a permit
- Purchase a permit online using a credit card.
- Download a permit application here, or call the License Division at (405) 297-2606 for a "paperless permit." Instead of a paper form, you get a permit number over the phone to post at your sale. If your City utility account is in good standing, we can add the charge to your next bill.
- You can also get a permit by mail. Request an application at least two weeks before your sale. We'll mail you an application to fill out. Return it with a check or money order for $7.
- Go to the Licensing Division, 420 W Main St., 8th floor, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Garage Sale Rules
- Garage sale signs and other service signs are not allowed on utility poles, traffic sign poles, medians or any public right-of-way. You can put one sign in front of your house. The sign itself can't be larger than 12 square feet.
- You can sell any personal property, but not motor vehicles. You cannot sell new merchandise, consignment items, or resale items.
- A single permit is good for three consecutive days. The sale must be held at the address listed on it, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. The maximum fine for conducting a sale without a license is $200 plus costs.